Sustainable Development Goals : the 17 goals
ASD is not in charge of the usage of the UN logos, thus cannot provide guidelines for utilizing the UN SDGs logo. Please contact the UN Secretariat directly to inquire about using the UN SDGs logo.
The Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) were implemented from 2000 to 2015. The 17 SDGs is to be implemented from 2016 to 2030 as the new initiative of the UN and the biggest joint objective of the international community
The goals include a wide arrange of social problems (poverty, diseases, education, women, children, refugees, disputes etc.), environmental problems and climate change (climate change, energy, environmental pollution, water, biodiversity etc.), economic problems (technology, housing, working conditions, labor, employment, production and consumption, social structures, laws, infrastructure construction, domestic and international economy). The SDGs is the biggest joint objective for the international community which aims to resolve such issues through the implementation of 17 goals and following 169 specific goals until 2030.
- Goal 1: End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- Goal 2: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture
- Goal 3: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Goal 4: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote life-long learning opportunities for all
- Goal 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Goal 6: Ensure availability and sustainable management of water sanitation for all
- Goal 7: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy for all
- Goal 8: Promote sustained, inclusive, and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment, and decent work for all
- Goal 9: Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Goal 10: Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Goal 11: Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Goal 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Goal 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Goal 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- Goal 15: Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- Goal 16: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
- Goal 17: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
For more information: https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdgs
ESG : [Environmental, Social, Governance]
Environmental, social, and governance, previously considered non-financial elements, have now emerged as core values of companies, major financial institutions, and shareholders around the world. They are considered deeply in core management strategies that companies must implement for sustainable management and investment. Particularly, since the outbreak of COVID-19 in 2019, “eco-friendly,” “social value,” and ” ethical behavior” have become the main policies of governments and parliaments. ESG has become a significant element that consumers, businesses, and civil societies look for in a product, and the demand for ESG management is ever-growing.
ESG finance is an investment method that shareholders and institutional investors consider with the company’s financial factors in terms of “sustainable investment” when making investment decisions in a company, reflecting social and ethical values and eco-friendly sustainability. Unlike the traditional method of judging only the financial performance of companies in the EU and major countries such as the U.S. from 2021, it will be evaluated by reflecting ESG that affects corporate value and sustainability from a long-term perspective. The way companies invest in ESG performance can drive long-term returns from investors, while corporate behavior can have a significant impact on society.
Along with the UN SDGs, the social responsibility of companies and investors has become important, and many financial institutions around the world are using ESG evaluation information. Starting with the UK (2000), many countries including Sweden, Germany, Canada, Belgium, France, and the Netherlands have introduced ESG information disclosure obligations with pension funds at the center, and New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) is also pushing for disclosure duties. The UN has recommended investment considering ESG issues since 2006.
■ The Association for Supporting the SDGs for the UN is the first organization in Korea that is an Observer of the Green Bond Principles (GBP), Social Bond Principles (SBP) of the ICMA(International Capital Market Association).
The ICMA, established in 1969, is an international self-regulatory organization and trade association for participants in the capital markets with offices in Zurich, London, Paris and Hong Kong; ICMA serves the needs of its wide range of member firms in global capital markets. As of March 2020, ICMA has around 600 members in 62 countries. Businesses must meet ICMA’s bond principles in order to issue ESG bonds.
Our association provides overall ESG solutions based on such activities and partnerships with major global and local ESG institutions: ▷Second Party Opinion · Guideline ▷Scoring · Rating ▷Certification · Verification ▷Globally Linked ▷Externally Linked ▷ESG Education.
The ASD provides ESG index, certifications, and guidelines for global companies through Sustainable Development Goals Business Index (SDGBI) and Guidelines for Reducing Plastic Waste & Sustainable Ocean and Climate Action Acceleration (GRP), an eco-friendly certification of best practices, and Global Sustainable Leaders / Brand 100 that announces the most sustainable leaders and brands around the world.
Our association encourages you to participate in ASD’s innovative ESG total solutions.